For parappu usili
Cluster beans (gawar phalli)250gm
Toor dal (split pigeon peas) – 1/3 cup
Channa dal (Split bengal gram) – 1/3 cup
Dry red chili – 2
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
for seasoning we need:
_Cooking oil Oil
– 1 tsp Mustard seeds
– 1 tsp Urad dal
– few curry leaves
_ Dry red chili – 2
- Soak channa dal and toor dal for 2 hours .
- Remove the ends and cut beans to small pieces and add it to a small pan .
- Add just a little water , 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and a little salt. Cover and cook over medium heat till it becomes tender.
- Adding just the right amount of water will preserve the nutrients of the beans.
- Drain the dal completely and set it aside for sometime.
- Grind it along with dry chilies, 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder little salt, a pinch of asafoetida.
- Make small balls and steam cook in idli plates for 8 to to 12 minutes.
- Remove from pan. let it cool down and grind it.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urad dal and curry leaves and green chillies.
- When urad dal becomes golden brown, add the cooked vegetable and the dal.
- Mix well and toss for a few seconds till the dall turns little crispy.
- And now its ready.
We are adding salt to the beans also so add the salt to the dal accordingly.